All of us must have seen a tigress performing mesmerizing tricks, playing inside the cage and exhibiting stunts? It’s a pleasure to see the wild animals in a zoo, under the facade of harmless family environment. But, there’s a strikingly different picture, which it portrays! Can you guess what?
The feline keeps walking back and forth within just a few meters as if she is tied to a rope. With fierce in her eyes, anger in her face, desire to escape, she nonchalantly obeys the instructions of her ringmaster.
Though it seems like a willing participant to us, but in reality, is a terrified animal.
How is a super powerful animal like a tigress, who is even more superior to a tiger controlled by a feeble man? Humans are scared of tigers, tigers are not, right? Then, how the tigress is scared of a human being?
This is because she has forgotten to use her strength and with time has lost her identity. It took years to coerce and bring her to this level of weakness. She is so used to this life, that she can’t even dare to use her power. After all, all her basic amenities like water, food, and shelter are given to her. She is surviving, but is she living her life?
What if the same tigress is set free in a jungle? No bar, no cage, no restriction, no fear, the vast space is all hers. She can live her life, her way. Now, to seek food she has to haunt, to quench her thirst, she has to search for water, to get a shelter, she has to explore the jungle. But, if she still chooses to continue her way of life, like she did earlier, probably she will miss on all the riches the jungle has to offer.
Humans can be the same!
I think there’s a strong message in the above scenario because this can be the same for us. We are also caged in our own thoughts. We are surviving with what is thrown to us, rather than hunting for new opportunities, finding ways of creating innovation and utilizing our capabilities, where we can do better perhaps best.
We don’t have any idea how to do this. We wish to attain success, we get a plentiful opportunity, but we fail to recognize them. Why? Because we are scared to take the risk. We presume that these are not our cup of tea. After all, we did well enough in our old cage.
However, there is another side of the coin too. You can leave your comfort zone, break the boundaries, go beyond the limitation and prove yourselves. It takes a lot of courage and more of willpower to do so.
It’s you who choose to be a “tigress in the cage” or a “tigress in the jungle”. What do you want?
The Cage sucks!
Today, just to survive we have gradually made ourselves comfortable in what we do. We wake up at the same time, commute along the same route to the same office where we spend 9 or 10 hours doing the same kind of work each day. We are habituated of a life where each day is the same as the last, doing the same thing-tracing the same steps throughout. And we think that is enough!
Do you ever think to do something different? Have you ever brought any change? Honestly answer yourself!
Just working with a reputed brand won’t help you out. You really need to view yourself as particularly worthy, where you excel. Or else your life will be ridiculous like the below-mentioned people.
I would like to share some of the shocking experience of few people working in renowned companies and their view about their life start with:
“It sucks, and I want to get out as soon as possible.”
“Everywhere it’s the same. We’re just a techno-coolie.”
“Education, knowledge, and experience are never counted. Though you learn some communication skills, then you’re left nothing to communicate!
Is this what, for which we work? Spend 40-50% of our life? Obviously no!!
How to Unlock the Cage?
First of all, get out of the comfort zone. Look out for more and more opportunities, where you can seek challenges, set avenues and redefine yourself. We all are blessed to have certain hidden talent, discover it and inculcate in your life. Most of us instead of doing what is right for us, do what the major mass is doing and follow them like a sheep blindly follows the herd.
Don’t do things just because others are doing. Explore yourself and differentiate from others.
Differentiation also has another aspect. You would have noticed out of a bunch of employees doing the same work, getting the same exposure, only a few are recognized. Why?
It is because they do the same work but in a different manner and stand out from others. This is exactly, how one can get differentiated from others.
Next, you should know what you can do and what you can’t. He who says, “I can” and he who says “I can’t” are both usually right. One can be good in something and one can screw up something else, so realizing both the cases are important.
There lies a considerable diversity in the work you do. Based on your interest, knowledge, and experience filter them and produce a better output. Your work, your life should mean something. All you need to do is– get rid of the Caged Syndrome!
But, what to do next? As per my knowledge and experience, I think these simple tricks will help us out to a great extent:
- Don’t belittle yourself– Your work should never be defined by the clock, rather your passion should define it. Sometimes, time constraint restricts you from achieving your goal.
- Act as an owner, not an employee– Never miss a chance to bring innovation and development in your work, in your team, maybe in your company. You’re each step matters for the company. So, think out of the box like the owners.
- Push yourself to learn and grow– Learning and growing are inter depended on each other and are an ongoing process. To enhance your knowledge, keep learning this will lead to your all-round growth.
- Take more responsibilities and deliver on challenges– One who loves to take up challenges and responsibilities finds a way to do the task. Accept responsibility for your actions, deliver challenges and be accountable for your results.
- Make the best of everything– “Pessimist is one who finds difficulty in every opportunity and Optimist is one who finds opportunity in every difficulty”. So, find the way and make the most out of it.
- Practice Discipline and show care– Discipline determines your level of success. So, practice discipline and stay motivated. Meanwhile, never forget to show care to your coworkers.
- Utilize your time to the fullest– Make good use of your time. It is only you who can either use i
- Increase your Capability- There is no shortcut to success. All it takes is hours of effort and urge to walk that extra mile. Instead of spending time being unproductive, invest your time and get the result you desire.
Try to inculcate these easy wins in your life, trust me only a few would be able to do these. There’s a redemptive power that making a choice has. Rather than the feeling, you’re affected by all the things, unlock yourself from the Caged Tigress Syndrome. Make a choice, you just decide what you’re going to be, where you’re going to be and how you’re going to be there?
This was just a small effort from my side, hope you liked it. Special quote of thanks to my friend Yashwant Kumar. I would be more than happy to know your views on this.